Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Allergy-Friendly Pantry Must Haves

Since starting my journey into allergy-friendly cooking and baking, I've learned that there are a few "must have" items that I always try to keep on hand. 



1. Rice Milk-  One of the things I like the most about rice milk is that it is shelf-sustainable, so it is easy to keep on hand. Rice milk has a very mild flavor, so I often use it in recipes where I don't want the flavor to be altered. This is also Elli's milk of choice :) 

2. Soy Free Vegenaise - I use this just like regular mayo.  (I've tried both the regular Veganaise and the Soy Free and think they are equally as good.) It's great on sandwiches, in tuna, and for dips and dressings.


3. A good quality bottle of pure vanilla extract- Especially when baking with allergy-friendly flours, a good quality vanilla extract can make a big impact. Buying pure, organic vanilla instead of imitation,  can be pricey, but it's a worthwhile investment. 


4. Silk Coconut Milk-  This milk also comes in original, vanilla or an unsweetened version. We prefer the original which is sweetened. I love to use this in my baking, and Steve and Edy love it on their cereal.  


5. Organic Coconut Oil- This little jar can do so many things! I use coconut oil to cook with, in place of butter in some recipes, to grease my cooking pans and I have also rubbed it on my chicken and then topped it with spices. That doesn't even begin to much all of the other non-cooking uses it has as well!


6. Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips-  I really can't say enough great things about this company and their products! These little chips are always in stock in our pantry. I melt them, bake with them, snack on them and use them All. The. Time!


7. Earth Balance Soy Free Spread-   The best "buttery" spread around! Anywhere I would use butter, I use this. Let me tell you, it makes a killer frosting!! 


8. Coconut Milk-  I like to use canned coconut milk in my cooking. The other type works great for baking, but the thick creaminess of the canned kind is perfect in soups and sauces. Any recipe that calls for cream, I sub this in its place. It does have a sweet flavor, but I've found if I up the spices a bit more you can't taste the difference. 


9. Allergy-Friendly Flour Blend-  This gluten free, potato free, soy free, nut free mix is something you will always find in my pantry. I use this in all of my baking! 


10. Palm Oil Shortning-  My I love to mix this with my Earth Balance Spread for the creamiest frosting ever!! Yum!! I also love to keep this on hand because every now and then I run into a recipe where I need it. I also use this to grease my pans. 


11. Tapioca Flour-  All of the items on this list are "must haves", but this one is a "HAVE to HAVE"! This little bag of magic will serve so many purposes in your kitchen. I use Tapioca as a thickener, in breading, and if you add a tablespoon of this to your butternut squash or potato fries, it gives them the perfect crunchy crust!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment