Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Allergy-Friendly Sloppy Joes

In my mind Sloppy Joes are a comfort food!! I love every messy, tangy, smokey bite of them, and I love that every family seems to have their own little twist on this classic dish. 


Here's my take on this American favorite. This makes a big batch that will easily feed 4-6 people.


In a large  skillet, heat the two tablespoons of coconut oil (or veggie oil if you prefer) over medium-high heat. Add the green peppers and onions and sauté until they soften and turn translucent. About 3 to 5 minutes. Add in ground meat and brown.

* At this point I like to flavor my meat with salt and pepper.

In a bowl, whisk together the tomato paste, water, Worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar until smooth. Then add in honey, mustard, liquid smoke, garlic powder, chipotle and cumin. Whisk together and pour mixture into the skillet, and stir. Pop on the cover and simmer together for 15-20 minutes.

We love to scoop our Sloppy Joes up with tortilla chips, but they are equally as good on Allergy-Friendly buns or bread 


No comments:

Post a Comment